About Our Beginnings...

My photo
Hiro was born January 17th at 12:07 am at Kaiser hospital, 48 hours after the water broke. It was a natural birth, and a very positive experience. Judah was born January 1, 2010 at 1:08 pm 7 hours after the water broke. Judah was delivered at Andaluz Waterbirth center, which was a completely magical experience that we highly recommend to anyone having a normal healthy pregnancy. Malakai was born on December 23, 2011 after three days of inactive labor labor and three hours of active labor (three hours after the water broke). Kai was born at Andaluz as well, this time in "Sienna" the red room. It was a relaxing and delightful way to spend our first Christmas with Malakai.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Food We Eat

We have really been evaluating the foods we eat. Although we are on a budget, we find we save a lot of money by avoiding the grocery store as much as possible. Instead, we are localvores, eating from farmers markets and local farms. I've discovered a lot of packaged foods that I use to by are pretty simple to make. I am cooking with the seasons, which is stretching my cooking "hammies." Here's a few of the dinners we've made...
Artichokes, red wine and sweet pea risotto with grass fed steaks

Local balsamic strawberry salad with Oregon spuds, grass fed whole chicken and a hunk of homemade French bread.

My fridge has lots o' jars! My canned food and my organic raw milk from a local dairy.

Aren't the eggs from my farm beautiful?

Full of Life Farms in St. Paul Oregon, where I get my meat, eggs, and milk.

Bow tie pasta in a creamy-morel mushroom sauce with local asparagus, wild caught scallops, and some of my homemade artisan bread.

Local grass-fed lamb, slow roasted all day on a bed of couscous with local (cold storage) acorn squash and swiss chard on the side.

Josie, our cow! Provider of raw milk, yogurt, and if I really get adventurous someday, cheese!

In order to buy the food I want, I have to be a bargain hunter...
Yay! For Dave's Killer Bread being local, organic, and having a bakery in Milwaukie, OR
If I take the time to drive out there, I can buy a "Frozen Dozen"..12 beautiful loaves of bread for only $2 a loaf!

Ode to Roots!
Kim, Becca and I had a lot of fun shopping for Japanese food at Uwajimaya.
We ended up cooking a lot of new (to us) roots...they were delicious!


(below) Gobo, or Burdock Root

Daikon(Top right), Gobo, Locus Root (bottom right) and Sushi!

No comments: